Sunday, June 26, 2011

"Like all great travelers...


...I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen."  ~Benjamin Disraeli
Mountains in Chamonix
John 14:21
I feel like that quote is going to describe my trip perfectly. In all honesty there is no way that I will be able to remember every detail about this trip – even with my outrageous number of photos or words in a blog. The truth is there are little things that this trip entails as well – the conversations with people on this trip, the professors, the lady at the patisserie down the street…There are so many aspects to this trip that I don’t even know where to begin really and for the most part if I ever try and explain all the little inside jokes I’d get weird looks. But I desperately want to try and remember these things, because I can already tell that this was one of the best decisions I’ve made in a long time. I’ve had to do a lot of things that I might think twice about in the states and I’m so glad that every morning I wake up I feel more confident in myself. 

I’m not sure what inspired that as my starting paragraph, but I guess it’s just what has been on my mind lately and there it was. So I think I’m going to split this blog up into two parts, the first part I want to try and go through some of the things I adore in this country, the second part is going to talk about the breathtaking views I got to experience in Chamonix this past Saturday while on Mount Blanc.

Chamonix, France
So let’s be real, there are certain things that the French have right. Pastries (especially the apricot croissants and the rhubarb tarts and almost anything else you snag out of the bakery honestly). Bread, any kind, and yeah people do actually walk around with baguettes. Wine, blanc…rouge…whatever your fancy they have it, and the ones that are only a few Euros are not half bad. Outdoor markets, fresh produce is amazing. Cheese! Funny little story the other day in class my professor was teaching us the different words for ‘to know’ and she was telling us that the way French people describe cheese is the same way that they describe people they know. Which is completely true, because she had actually used the word ‘gorgeous’ to describe Camembert, a cheese from the Normand coast. And to be quite honest I went out and bought some and it is really, really good.

Indescribable views
Another, slightly more profound thing I’ve noticed is that the French have a better sense of relaxation than we do in the States. They take their time during their meals, they spend time in cafes talking over coffees and wine, there is never a real sense of urgency here and it’s so great. Of course it took some getting used to – just like going to LR and getting used to the laid-back Southern style of life did. Sundays are amazing – none of the shops are open and come mid-afternoon the parks are filled with people just laying out and reading or playing an instrument or just enjoying their time together. It’s easy to make jokes about how the French like their holidays and will take time off whenever possible, but I’m starting to think that’s not entirely a bad thing. I guess what I’m saying is that in France I’ve found that slowing down and taking time to relax should definitely be a way of life, who doesn’t need less stress in their life?

Mount Blanc & Glacier
Yesterday we travelled to Chamonix, which is the town at the base of Mount Blanc, one of the highest mountains in Western Europe. It was so gorgeous; I can’t even begin to describe how pretty the mountains were. The town itself was very picturesque and it was easy to see where there was more of a Bavarian/Germanic influence to it – which was really neat to see. We took a cable car up to the summit of the mountain were the scenery became even more unreal. The mountains are just so massive and snow capped, it’s exactly what you would imagine the Alps to be like. We got to take gondolas (scariest part of my day since I’m not a big fan of anything that’s suspended above the Earth) down the mountain towards the glacier where we then got off and had to take a bunch of stairs down into the glacier cave. It was so amazing to be in a glacier in the Alps!

Ice, Ice, Baby!

Such a pretty town
 I cannot believe that we’re already over the halfway point – almost to the 2/3 mark. This trip has definitely been a great learning experience so far and while I do think I’ll be ready to head home in a few weeks I’m so glad that I did this. Coming up we have a few excursions that I’m really looking forward to! For instance on Tuesday I’m going paragliding, how insane, right? I know I must have lost my sanity somewhere in this country but I think it’ll be fun while slightly terrifying. Who wouldn’t want to jump off a mountain….


Miss and love you guys,
Until next time…

6 comments:

  1. Dear Alyssa,
    I was just finishing up this post (a post that I really enjoyed - thanks!), and my iPod shuffled to "Seasons of Love." It is appropriate, since so many of us seem to have taken a crazy leap with this trip (and lost our sanity, by our "normal American life" standards). Just as this song is trying to figure out how to measure a life, I think it's fair to say that you and I and everyone else on this trip will be able to look back upon all the crazy things we did here in France and measure our lives by the number of ways this trip has changed us.
    Thanks for the post!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lys,

    This blog and your photos are just amazing. I am so in awe of all that you have done, but even more by the fact that you have discovered things inside you that you never knew were there. You have certainly blossomed and have come into your own on this trip and I am so proud, happy, in awe, and, yes, sometimes jealous of all that you have seen and done. I have told you many times and will continue to tell you, you make me proud each and every day of your life, to be able to claim you as my granddaughter. I miss you very much, but I would not have wanted anything more for you. Enjoy the rest of this amazing trip and see you in Phillie in 2½ weeks.

    Love you to the moon and back,
    Gram and Pap Everett

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a strange feeling that the sometimes frightened, sometimes reserved daughter that I left in the airport in Philadelphia will be coming home to me as a more confident, risktaking young woman! I wasn't sure that was possible after all your traveling with P2P, but I guess having to live pretty much on your own in a foreign (I won't say strange) country will force you to dig deep and find within yourself all the possibilities that exist for you! And WOW! Look what you've discovered!!!!

    I have enjoyed watching this transformation happen through your words (which I can hear you saying when I read it) and have enjoyed feeling like I am there through your amazing pictures.

    I don't have to tell you how much I miss you and love you, you already know that, so I will just tell you that I can't wait to see you in just a few short weeks!

    Love you bunches,
    M♥M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lys,

    What more can I say that hasn't already been said by your many friends and family?

    I so enjoy sitting and leafing through your many breathtakingly beautiful photos. You truly have taken some wonderful photos. Prayerfully they will live in your heart and thoughts for a lifetime.

    As your grandmother has said, the experience is just so wonderful for you. Jealous, yes, but not in an envious way. Perhaps a wishful one. Wishing that at some point and time in our own lives, we could have experienced such a journey.

    Life is so short. And these times and opportunities do not come often. I am glad you decide to grab it and run with it. These times definitely have a way of affecting our lives. For you, it has been such a growing one for you. Just reading your blog I have heard between the lines a transformation in your thought process and your overall life changes. Funny how a trip can do this?

    What is so spectacular about it is that you are aware of these changes in yourself and recognize you are not coming home the same woman you were when you left. Becoming worldly does this. I am happy that you didn't see this trip as just a traveler but as a learner. Not only the language but about culture and YOURSELF. How amazing is that?

    The next two weeks will fly by quickly. Absorb it all. And I look forward to seeing the rest of these photos. It's mind boggling to live in these times. Where you are taking is so much beauty and being able to share them daily with us here at home. Thank you so much for sharing them with us.

    Now, enjoy what's left of this journey and hope to see you when you arrive back home. Miss ya.

    Love, Aunt Diz

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK so I was on vacation last week so I was unable to read or post about your blog, and even if I was my life doesn't revolve around you and your fancy little trip to FRANCE so BACK OFF!!!!

    I mean HONESTLY!!! Am I the only one that's beginning to feel the only real reason for this blog is to rub it in our faces that you are having SOOOOO much fun over there and seeing such BEAUTIFUL land marks and sights?
    GOD GET OVER YOURSELF FOR ONCE!!!! ALLYSON YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF FOR THE WAY YOU RAISED HER!!!

    LMAO ok if you're still reading this comment LYS (which I hope you are) and are struggling to do so because your crying with laughter then my work is done for this week. LOVE the photos, I think to date these are some of my favorites.
    The landscape shots are incredible, however there dont seem to be many shots of you and your classmates, unless you just arent posting those here. Either way keep having fun, keep posting pictures and STOP posting this blog and rubbing it my face LOL.

    Until next BLOG,

    Yup You guessed it, its that JE double S E

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pictures are amazing. Glad that you are sharing them with all of us back in the States. Be safe and safe travels also. This journey is almost over for you, it went by way to quickly. You are so lucky to have experienced all that you have in your "short" life...most people just have "pipe dreams" about going to the places you have been and doing the things you have done in your travels. Great things lie ahead for you, that I believe beyond a shadow of a doubt. Take all you have been given and all that you have learned and spread your wings and fly. You have earned it and you deserve it. Proud to be able to say that you are part of my family. Love, Aunt Lois

    ReplyDelete