Friday, June 3, 2011

Just a hop skip and a jump later...

Hopping across the pond...skipping across the channel...and jumping in Chambery that is :)

So let's be real - this blog is going to be 100% authentic which means I'm going to be real with you all. I was a huge bundle of nerves from the time I woke up on Thursday morning until I landed in Lyon earlier today. (Yes, this time difference is catching up) Flying alone internationally for the first time was as stressful as I thought it would be but I managed, and asked lots of questions. When we were flying over Ireland the sun was starting to come up and it was the most gorgeous thing ever and I'm sure my poor Ipod never wants to play 'Defying Gravity' ever again since that was my pick me up song. But the strange thing is that the part of the trip I was most worried about - getting to France and the train safely, was the least stressful time. I was more worried while in London than when I landed in Lyon. I met up with this girl, Anna, at the train station who is also studying at Savoie this summer, so we made the trip to Chambery together. Which was great since I was getting tired of being by myself.

The train ride was breathtaking as we went further away from the countryside and more into the mountains. It was absolutely amazing, they rise up so quickly and the lakes are so blue I cannot wait to explore this area more. We made it to our rooms - which are a decent size - and instead of even unpacking a few of us decided to explore our new city. It is gorgeous. I can't even begin to describe. If I wasn't at a wifi hotspot in a cafe right now feverishly typing I'd upload pictures - but I don't have a lot yet, so I'll wait until there is more! From the looks of our itinerary they have our schedule pretty well packed with optional activities (which include Geneva, Turin, Vineyard tours, and a liquer cellar to mention a few). Needless to say I'll probably be coming back broke but well worth it. Oh! First legal drink in Europe? Hoegardeen Hefeweisen - even better than it is in the States because let's be real, I'm in France!

The people I've met so far are great - I think we're really going to have a good time here. All the nerves I felt are gone and I couldn't be happier. These next few weeks are going to fly by but I think every emotion and experience I go through will be worth it in the end. Actually I know it will. I'm going to steal a quote from the amazing Beth Feimster (who, I believe, in turn took it from someone else), "The growth is worth the goodbyes." This couldn't be more true in many different ways but for now I can relate it to this trip. I probably looked like the biggest idiot in the Philly airport (gate A17) yesterday because I was probably crying the entire time I was there...and then on the plain...because leaving people you love is hard. But you know what? It was worth it, and all the unrest I had during the past few days - worth it.

I am so blessed to have the family that I do who will allow me to fly by myself thousands of miles away to do something like study abroad for 6 weeks in a country that doesn't speak the same language I do. They are amazing and I cannot tell them how much I love and appreciate them.

Well tomorrow we hit up some local markets for a picnic, and then see some of the nightlife tomorrow and Sunday we're off to a cheese processing factory...cool? Why not I'm in France! Classes start Monday and there are a bunch of excursions coming up, Geneva on Saturday! So excited to see Switzerland! I will keep you all updated as best I can.

Miss you guys,
Lots and lots and lots of love (from FRANCE!)
Until Next Time...

12 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are there and already exploring!!!! You are going to have an amazing time!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!! LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are safe and having a great time Love you girl. Aunt Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pap and I are go glad that you arrived there safely and that you have already made great friends. Enjoy you time there and we know that we will be in store for many, many pictures when you arrive back home. I gave Travis your blog address. He and the family send you all their love. So proud of you and love you to the moon and back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great time Lys. Mac and I loved both Ireland and Switzerland and would love to go back to Irleand. Take lots of pictures and be safe. Love you


    Aunt Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will reflect on this experience for the rest of your life and draw on the courage and determination you have during this entire time to face all the challenges in the future.
    Good luck - you will have an awesome time. Europe is a fascinating continent and one I miss traveling in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so exciting! First of all I'm so happy you that you made it safe and sound!
    I could only imagine the time it took to make it over there but it is so worth it!
    Take advantage of the time while you are there and have a blast!

    -Maylee :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a wonderful trip. This is a chance of a life time,enjoy every minute of it. You have a wonderful loving mother. You deserve this trip. I am sure you worked hard to get to this point in your life and you deserve all the happiness the world can offer you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Luck Over there Lys,

    Have fun and study hard and have fun. Come back safely though cuz Rudolf wouldnt be the same with out you to help me rag on your mom haha.

    Slainte
    Jesse
    P.S.
    If you get a chance, try Strong Bow. BEST HARD CIDER EVER!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great opportunity, take full advantage of it! I’m sure you will have an amazing time and you’ll even make new friends! Isn’t that exciting already?! Better yet, you have a strong-wonderful woman supporting you, your mom! Enjoy your trip and learn a lot!!!!  Evelyn D.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This all sounds utterly fabulous!! (Cheese processing factory? Definitely!) Soak it all in ~ I know you will, sounds like you already are.

    -- sally

    ReplyDelete
  11. What up and stuff? How are the French? They gave us the Statue Of Liberty and we give them the Life Of Bowmanstown!!! I am sure they are better off with that token of appreciation. I hope you are enjoying your time and stay safe and out of trouble!

    Love ya,
    Uncle Travis

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Can't wait to see all the pictures of your "adventure". Stay safe and have fun! Love, Aunt Lois & Uncle Guy

    ReplyDelete