Friday, June 10, 2011

Bonjour!

4 Elephant Statue in Chambery
I’m currently sitting in front of my open window looking out onto a gorgeous French afternoon while listening to Van Morrison. Tres bien. My first week of class is over and I honestly cannot believe that it’s been a week since I’ve been in this city. Only five more to go, time is already flying. Class is going better for me, the beginning was very rocky but as we move on I feel more comfortable. I’m actually picking up on writing and reading a lot quicker than I thought – it’s just getting to the speaking that seems to be difficult at this point, but it can only get better and I’m already better than when I started off. I’m looking forward to the level I’ll be at after my six weeks here.

City Hall in Chambery
Looking out over Grenoble at the Bastille
One of the things I’ve noticed the most that I really love is that everyone is more than willing to help, but not only are they willing to help they want to learn as well. So many of the people from the university offer to help with their French in hopes of improving their English, it’s really cool to be able to help each other out. People are just naturally curious and wanting to learn. We have two professors, one teaches three days a week, the other the remaining two; our professor yesterday started talking in class about their insurance, and we told her in broken French how ours was different. When we were on break she came over to where we were having our snacks and just talking and she wanted to know more about our health care system. It’s moments like that that I absolutely love. Curiosity is an infectious thing.

Yesterday after class we took a bus to Grenoble – which is about an hour from where we are. They had the Olympics there in the 1960s I believe, but it’s also the home of the Bastille. Which, from my understanding, if a very prominent figure in the French Revolution, it was such an immense fort on the top of a mountain – the views were spectacular! We also went into a museum and got to see AMAZING paintings. We’re talking paintings that are OLDER than our country! How bizarre is it to think that a painting can be older than our nation? It just puts things into perspective about how young America really is as a country. Also, I was about an inch away from a Monet painting. Needless to say I was a very happy girl!

An original Monet!
Tomorrow is a day trip to Geneva and I can hardly wait! I am so excited to get into Switzerland; I can barely put it into words. So this is my life right now, class in the morning, random activities in the afternoon and just overall enjoying my time here. Everyone I’ve met on this trip has been really great, we can all relate to each other which is really important. 

Not much more to report right now.
I miss you all and hope everything’s great!

7 comments:

  1. I am in awe of all that you have done in just one short week in France. I miss you terribly, but I am so excited for all the things you have yet to do. Just soak it all in and enjoy this time in you life. Life has been very good to you and you deserve all that life has to offer you. I am sure that as the weeks go by, your French will improve. Love you to the moon and back and then some!

    Gram

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lys, it's just so wonderful that we live in the time that we do, that you can be there and we here and enjoy your daily activities. Thank you so much for taking the time throughout your journey to keep us abreast of what you are doing and seeing and experiencing. It's just great.

    Aunt Diz
    June 10, 2011 11:56

    ReplyDelete
  3. just simply too cool for me - haha. just kidding - glad youre having a great time. it looks so amazing. new york is going to be like weissport to you by the time you get home. haha. lots of love. - jess

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thoroughly enjoying looking at all the pictures you have taken. Take care and keep the blogs and pictures coming. Aunt Lois

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dearest daughter,

    I will continue to say, until I have no breath in me anymore, that I am so lucky to have been chosen to be your mom!!!! You make me incredibly proud!!!! I LOVE reading about all of your experiences and to know that this is just the tip of the iceberg as far as what you will be doing with your life is just astounding to me. I miss you more than you could ever imagine but I am so thankful that you have these opportunities. Thanks for sharing this with us....Je t'aime!

    M♥M

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok my turn... .thanks for the pics... our plan was to spend our 10th anniv in Paris... didn't happen, so I'll live vicariously through you... and the Tour de France. Enjoy every minute. It WILL FLY by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It all looks amazing!
    I'm excited for you,I cant wait to see what else comes your way!!
    Bon voyage!
    -Maylee :))

    ReplyDelete