Monday, July 11, 2011

Time is making fools of us again...


How is it that time can be such a tricky thing? Wasn’t I just blogging about how there was one week left until I left for France, and now…now I’m blogging about how I have less than one week left in France. I can’t believe just how quickly time has decided to fly; only two more days of classes left and I can honestly say I’ve come a long way from my first day in a French class.

I was completely 'geeking' out at
this exhibit.
There hasn’t been much going on lately – all the excursions have slowed down and that’s okay. I’ve been enjoying spending time with the friends I’ve made in a city I’ve grown to love. One of the things Erin and I did last week was go to the local Savoie Museum. I'm going to be honest and say the only thing that really propelled me to go was that there was a 1939-1941 exhibit. I've been wanting to figure out how this area was effected during World War Two since I've gotten here and the exhibit was of great help with that. This area was occupied by the Italians for a while and suffered some bombings, deportations, and other horrors of war. One of my favorite things about history is being able to visit the places you read about in books, being able to go through an exhibit and know that the artifacts they had were local was amazing. The Savoie region during World War Two is definitely something I want to research more when I get home.

Vive la France! (Says the leader who's
in London)

It’s still hard for me to comprehend that in a few shorts days this will all just be a great memory. I’ve met people here who have changed my life and allowed me to grow as a person. The difference between this trip and my other abroad experiences is that all the students here are from various places across the United States. There are people who I’m sure I’ll never see again while others I’ll be more inclined to keep in touch with but there’s still that feeling that we went through this together.




A paper from D-Day plus 1 :)
People always talk about how when they go to Europe they find themselves, and I used to think that was crap. I’d like to think I had a good grasp on who I was as a person before jumping on a plane, however, the things I’ve come to learn while over here has been monumental. I’ve grown as a person and done things that I never had imagined doing before. If there’s one thing that I really want to take away from this trip as a sort-of, ‘this is what I leaned’ mantra it would have to be: Trust yourself, you’re a lot stronger than you could ever imagine.

One of the things I'll miss most
about this country!
Time is winding down but there are still things on the agenda. Tonight a group of us are going out for dinner in town. It was something that was one of the first things we did as a group way back when we first got here and it seemed fitting to go out again as a group at the end of the trip as well. Tomorrow there’s probably about ten of us who are going to see ‘Harry Potter et les Reliques de la Mort’ partie une et deux which I am super excited about! After that it’s going to be a bunch of packing and goodbyes. With that being said my need for a blog is starting to diminish, I never intended this to be anything more than a travel blog. I appreciate people reading it and I’m glad I was able to tell about my journey this summer. 

Look for another post or two in the next week.
Miss you and love you BUT I get to see you guys SOON!

3 comments:

  1. This time went fast for you Lys. Glad that you had this opportunity and posted such wonderful pictures. Have safe travels, you will be on US soil soon. Love, Aunt Lois & Uncle Guy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lys,

    As always, you know just how to put everything into perspective. I know that this experience has been a wonderful one for you. You have certainly grown during this time and have absorbed all that you could and, how ironic, that you were able to find so much about World War II while there in France. Your love for the history behind that war was fullfilled far beyond anything you could have ever imagined.

    Now come home safely and we will see you, in just a few short days, in Philly and then we want to plant a great big kiss on that beautiful face of yours and give you the biggest bear hug you ever received.

    Love you to the moon and back and miss you terribly,

    Love,
    Gram and Pap Everett

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read you posts as often as I can. And I thoroughly enjoyed all the wonderful pictures you have shared.

    I think the one thing I have learned about you, through your blog and your photos has been that when you come upon an opportunity, you don't waste time staring it down and contemplating on it to long. You jump right in and see what it has to offer you.

    You have become quite a worldly young woman. And your travels and experiences have taken you to place most only dream about doing. And that I would suspect comes from your ability to seize the moment and take whatever it offers. Some experiences offer much, others not quite as much. However, each has given you another opportunity to live your life to the fullest and grow.

    I am so proud of you and the woman you have become. And you should be, as well. May these days unravel in your heart and mind for many years to come, as you look back and reflect on these many experiences.

    May you take from them and reach out to others with what you have learned.

    Now, enjoy what time you have left with the wonderful new friends you have made. And may the Good Lord bring you home safely to your family who anxiously awaits your HOMECOMING.

    Love, Aunt diz

    ReplyDelete